Wednesday 4 January 2012

Bristol, UK

Over the past few weeks of the Christmas period, I have been thinking about a trip to the buzzing city of Bristol. As I can reach it within 40 mins in the car from my house, its not too long a journey either. Not only does the city have some really quirky and unusual vintage and independent stores, but several major shopping areas, so, with my purse full of Christmas money, this time of year is particularly fitting for a shopping visit! There's also a few exhibitions I wouldn't mind taking a look at - especially 'Darkness in Bloom' in the View art gallery - which only runs until the 8th of Jan, definitely a priority!


Work by Rosie Emerson - In Darkness Blooms Exhibition, View gallery, Bristol 
Emerson is just one of the artists featured in this exhibition who I really like, but I will post more about the others when I actually take a trip there. I love the crossover she has going on between fashion and art and the way she presents this all in such a dark way. 










University of Bristol
UWE
As with most cities, Bristol has loads going on in terms of night life - there are A LOT of students (which equals amazing nights out) due to its 2 major Universities, University of Bristol and the University of  the West of England (UWE), which both have campuses based in and around the centre and this definitely contributes to its youthful and 'up-and-coming' vibe. 


There are plenty of classier bars full of the beautiful people too for those who want something less brassy. I'm planning to have a quick nose around these scenes and maybe discover some that are a bit more underground and alternative. As much as I am always up for a club night out full of dancing and drinking, I love little eccentric and indie pubs and bars with some acoustic music playing in the background where you can just casually relax with a glass of wine and a group of friends. Bristol will no doubt deliver to me a gem or two like this. 


As food is most definitely the love of my life, eating places are very important to me! Student budgets however do seem to prevent me from the amount of restaurants I could easily visit every day... I find that eating out is always a mission when you're in a group, as people all have different budgets, expectations and preferences so its usually a case of finding a place with the best value - any 2-4-1 deals will sway the decision! On previous visits to Bristol I have eaten in the typical  family chain restaurants (Frankie & Benny's, Zizzi's, Nando's, Gourmet Burger Kitchen etc.) but this time I am determined to find a restaurant or a cafe that offers good, freshly cooked food for a GOOD PRICE. There are loads of these places around in cities like Bristol, but they just don't have the popularity or recognition that the huge chains do. I'm thinking menus of home-made hummus, falafel, pizzas, pastas, salads, burgers, chicken dishes - anything vaguely Mediterranean or Italian and I'm there!





No comments:

Post a Comment